Wednesday, February 3, 2010

#2. Further research

I think I still want to do my research on academic cheating, and focus on the causes of it. Luckily, when I search on the internet, there is a lot of information on this topic. First I search Google and use the term “college cheating”, it went back with a lot of results that relates to academics. In Google Scholar, some of the full articles are only open to subscribers. So that is a little annoying that I found a good article but I can not view the whole text. Also, YouTube gives me some good clips about college cheating, but the key term that I type in must be “college academic cheating”, if not, the results will include some unrelated topic. Such as, “college cheats on students” or “college students cheating on relationships”. They are interesting but unrelated to my project. I would like to start from researching and analyzing some cases of academic cheating and find what common aspects they have. Two of the useful sources that I found are “Academic Honesty: Cheating and Plagiarism” (http://depts.washington.edu/grading/issue1/honesty.htm), and “Academic dishonesty” from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_dishonesty). Both resources provide an overview on college cheating (more formally, Academic dishonesty). I think they will be a good starting point, but I doubt that can use them as a reference in my research paper. An interesting clip that I find on YouTube is “College Cheating Story” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpPnjWP59MU). As the clips mentioned, there are many causes that leads to academic dishonesty. So, now I am thinking about the option of presenting some major causes parallel to each other or focus on one cause and do the research.

3 comments:

  1. I recommend you look for the work of Don McCabe and see what is on the web that can give you a sense of his arguments (eventually you will want to look at his books and scholarly work -- though Google Scholar or Google Books can give you some sense of that). A search I did at Google Scholar (click the link) turned up tons of useful stuff.

    You should also look at the Rutgers policy and materials on Academic Integrity and see how it is represented. You might also try to learn more about how well it is enforced....and what individual departments do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great topic, and a very rich one. Eventually you will need to decide what you are going to focus on in particular and the way you are going to frame the issues. If you are interested specifically in "plagiarism" and you want to explore an anthropological approach to the topic (similar to that used by Moffatt and Nathan in our readings), you might look at Susan Blum's My Word! Plagiarism and College Culture which seems to offer some very interesting ways of understanding student behavior.

    ReplyDelete