Monday, March 22, 2010

#11. The Case

One particular case that I want to use in my paper is "A Pilot Study of Nursing Student's Perceptions of Academic Dishonesty: A Generation Y Perspective", where the author did a survey on nursing students and talked about why students cheat and normalize cheating behavior. This case provides a positive support to McCabe’s honor code theory; because it specifically says that honor codes will help students manage their behaviors at the end of the article. McCabe’s theories give me a good direction in searching for cases. One thing that he says about why students cheat is because they think some of the courses are not important to their major. Is this statement true? I can find that out by doing surveys and interview nursing school teachers, which gives me a chance to gather some primary sources. Also, the counterpart to the argument is whether honor code alone is enough to stop cheating or if we need something more. I thought I would find the academic dishonesty policy for Rutgers nursing students online, but it seems there isn’t one. The online catalog for Rutgers College of Nursing is: http://catalogs.rutgers.edu/generated/nwk-ug_current/pg6.html. The site that talks about academic performance is: http://catalogs.rutgers.edu/generated/nwk-ug_current/pg60.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment